Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Are you an author?

Hi

I'm raving, so feel free to skip this post should you choose.

How many of you reading this write romance? Are you writing for a big NY Giant or a smaller press?

Well, apparently, if you're not writing for the big boys--you're not a published author, per RWA.

It doesn't matter if you review well with your smaller publisher. You're not an author.

It doesn't matter if the books are offered as ebooks or print (as many big publishers do) You're not an author.

It doesn't matter if your book can be found in Barnes and Noble. You're not an author.

Why? Because RWA, in its infinite wisdom has decreed it. The new requirements require advances to become a PAN author. Most of the small presses don't pay advances.

So, why pour your heart and soul into writing a book? That's the question I've been asking myself.

I write for small presses because I choose to do so. I've submitted one story to a large publisher in the last 15 years--and it's still waiting for an answer three months later.

The thought that small publishers only publish crap is just...well...crap. About 4-5% are published from the slush pile. Diamonds in the rough are given a chance they might not otherwise be given, as perhaps an editor has more time to help an author polish the book.

I'm fed up. I'm tired of small publishers being considered not real publishers.

RWA is supposed to support romance writers. Do the members not see the writing on the wall? NY Publishers just can't publish all the books out there--they'd be publishing hundreds a month--just not possible. Does that mean that all authors should just give up? Or should they look at other avenues?

What about those that want to see their book sometime in THIS decade. Is that wrong? Apparently so--because although I've published two books, several short stories, have a story coming out with Amazon in a few weeks--I'm not an author.

Ok, done ranting for the moment.

No comments: